Friday, November 2, 2012

Jaxon's Baby Shower Part I

Tomorrow (with a lotta help from my friends) I am hosting a baby shower for Lora to celebrate baby Jax. It will be a brunch with great people, great food, and fun activities. I will post photos next week! Here are some things I have planned for tomorrow's festivities:

Baby Wishes
I am going to ask guests to write a note to Jaxon for his baby book. One of the best things we did while pregnant with Rocco was ask loved ones to write down their top three baby names for a boy and girl. It's fun to look back at those notes. I know that Jason and Lora (and eventually Jaxon) will also like looking back on those notes.

Words of Encouragement
Guests will leave Lora and Jason a note scribbled in Sharpie on newborn diapers for those late-night diaper changes. Notes might be encouraging or funny! Plus, it is a great way for Lora to start her diaper collection. She will need lots!

Guess How Many
I have purchased a variety of miscellaneous baby items for Lora and Jax. These items will go into a cellophane bag-- guests will have to guess how many items there are in the bag. The guest with the closest guess will win a prize. This is a tried-and-true baby shower game, but a great way to get Lora some baby loot!

Decorate a Onesie
Each guest will pick their favorite onesie and decorate it using decals and fabric paint. Not only will Lora get some new, personalized clothes for Jax, but the guest with the winning onesie design (as picked by Lora) will win a gift.

How Well Do You Know The Mama-to-Be?
I have devised a list of characteristics and qualities, such as eye color, hair color, height, hunting skills, etc. Beside each quality is a box for Lora and a box for Jason. Guests will have to determine how Lora thinks as far as what qualities she hopes Jaxon gets from her and which ones he gets from Jason. The guest with the most accurate guesses wins a gift.


But we all know that the best part of any gathering is the food. Among the typical breakfasty items, there will be one of my most favorite dishes of all time: tourtiere. Tourtiere is a French-Canadian meat pie traditionally served during Christmas. It is hearty, full of comforting spices, warm, filling, and yummy. I will admit-- the first time I encountered tourtiere I thought, "I don't know about this-- meat pie sounds kinda scary!" Well, it was the opposite-- totally not scary; totally delish. I have made this pie for lots of people and have never found one person who does not like it. Since I am off of my feet, my sous chef, Andrea, will be handed down my prized recipe and make the pies this time around. The other amazing aspect of this dish is that you can make it the day or evening before you need it, refrigerate it, and reheat it in the oven the next morning or day. It holds up really well. And tastes just as delish!

It made me think-- you know, everyone should experience this amazing dish for themselves. (I'm only being stingy with my recipe because, well, I like taking credit for the few recipes in which I feel like a Master Chef.) With the holidays approaching, you have time to master it before Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know that I plan on making a pie (or two) for breakfast on Thanksgiving and Christmas morning. Enjoy!


Tourtiere Recipe

1 lb. ground pork
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons cornstarch (or as much as needed to thicken mixture to gravy-like consistency)
Pastry for 2-crust pie
1 cup applesauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a dry pan, combine all ingredients except for applesauce and pastry. Blend thoroughly. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently (or until pork is completely cooked.) Add applesauce. Get pie pans ready—put one part of the pastry down into the pan; save the other for the top of the pie. Pour meat mixture into pie pan. Cover pie with remaining pastry and seal edge. Cut slits in top of pie to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and bake 20 minutes longer, or until top of pie is golden brown.  



No comments:

Post a Comment