Sunday, October 28, 2012

Over-Achiever

"You've always been an over-achiever. I guess your body just gets ready to have babies before it's time," my mom said to me around seven this morning as Todd and I sleepily munched on our McDonald's breakfast.

Apparently, my body just wants to have babies when I'm 31 weeks and 3 days.

I looked back at the pregnancy journal I kept with Rocco and, sure enough, at 31 weeks and 3 days, I went into the hospital with steady contractions (every 3 to 4 minutes) and started meds to stop them. I went in early this morning-- around three am-- at 31 weeks and 3 days with steady (and painful) contractions. (I highly suggest keeping a pregnancy journal to first time mothers-- and, to be honest, I have kept one with Ruby, too, in case I decide to have a third child. It's nice to be able to look back and see what is "normal" during pregnancy, because as much as you think you will remember at the time, you won't remember anything later on.)

To make a long story short-- the nurse, who was very kind-- monitored Ruby's heartbeat (perfect, steady, strong) and my contractions (consistent, strong enough to be worrisome), decided that I needed a test to see the likelihood of delivering within the next two weeks (negative), did a vaginal check (cervix completely closed), administered two shots to stop contractions (made me feel jittery), and started me on the same meds I took when the situation happened with Rocco. Everything ended up just fine with the exception of a couple of really sleepy parents-- and a sleepy grandma who came over around three and didn't sleep at all.

The whole time driving over, Todd and I kept talking about how lucky we felt that we didn't have to worry about insurance at all-- and how thankful we are that we have good jobs that offer this amazing benefit. I particularly felt thankful to know that if I did have real issues that my building principal would be supportive. I know that everyone I work with would be more concerned about my health and the baby's health than work issues. I am very lucky to not have that hanging over my head. I am thankful and lucky to have family around to support us and step in to take care of Rocco-- and any other business I might need taken care of-- as well as lots of extended family and friends who are not only ready but willing to help in any way. I was also very appreciative that I have a good husband to stand by me. I have a huge amount of empathy for single mothers. While there, we saw the life flight helicopter come in and, again, I felt thankful that although uncomfortable at the moment, my health is very good. In the end, I was very thankful for modern technology to help in a situation like this and that ultimately Ruby would be just fine.

Another positive: Ruby made us laugh. She might be a little fiery like her mother! She was in a true tizzy last night-- moving all over the place, kicking, punching, and rolling. Every time the nurse would find Ruby's heartbeat, Ruby would move so the heartbeat was undetectable. Every time the nurse adjusted the monitor and pressed on my belly, Ruby would give her a big kick or punch. She is a fighter! Here, the whole time I thought I would have a sweet, little, quiet baby girl. But I think she might be more like her mama than we thought.

And although she might think she's ready to make her appearance, my little over-achiever is just going to have to wait it out a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment