Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fireman Rocco


Rocco has found a new interest-- anything involving being a fireman; more specifically, Fireman Sam. Fireman Sam is a British cartoon about, well, a fireman named Sam. We found this cartoon on Netflix a couple of months ago and Rocco has been hooked ever since.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I purchased a fireman costume for Rocco to wear for Halloween. He has been so excited about it that he wears at least part of it on a daily basis. Almost every day, Rocco is sent to the babysitter's house wearing the bright red, plastic fireman helmet and his bright red, rubber Spiderman boots. He even refers to himself as Fireman Sam. For some parents, this might be embarrassing. I'm not embarrassed at all.

In fact, the purpose behind this blog to to reaffirm my beliefs in supporting your child's interests whether you personally believe in them or not. I recently read an article that discusses the necessity of supporting your child's passions during their infant and toddler years. The article stresses that trains and trucks might be the sole interest of your 3 year old, but that will take a backseat to sports when your child enters kindergarten, for example. The author's point is for parents to not push children into one direction, but to support the current interest of the child at the time, for most interests are usually just phases.

I fully agree. I think that kids go through lots of phases throughout their childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood. Shoot, even adults go through phases of interests! It is our role, as parents, to support our kids' interests no matter how silly, how off-base, or how unimportant you might think they are. It saddens me as a teacher and parent to see so many kids affected by parents who try to push them into an interest that, quite frankly, the child wants nothing to do with or doesn't really have any passion for.

I am appreciative that my parents, my extended family, my husband's parents, and my husband's extended family have been supportive of the interests of Rocco. Along with anything involving being a fireman, Rocco is also interested in anything that has wheels and makes noise-- trucks, trains, tractors, airplanes, backhoes, dump trucks, etc. They have noticed Rocco's interest in these things and have consciously supported his passion by making sure to involve themselves as much as possible into his interests, such as buying toys related to the theme, having discussions about his interest, buying clothes with images associated with his interest, etc. I know that although each one of us has our own selfish hopes that Rocco will take up an interest in whatever is our biggest passion (for me, I hope someday we can sit and paint together, for example. Or, for my husband, for my son to play baseball with him.) we put it aside to do what is best for Rocco-- supporting his interests at the time.

It is my biggest hope that I continue to support my son's passions throughout his lifetime, whether it be fire fighting, farming, sports, art, music, computers, speaking Chinese, studying planets... whatever he can dream up! I just want him to be happy and know that I think he is immaculate no matter what (which he is!)

(Fireman Rocco in his hat and boots)

As I close this blog, I want to extend my appreciation for my parents in supporting me throughout my childhood. When I think about all of the "when I grow up I want to be a _____'s" throughout my lifetime, not one went unsupported. An artist, a dancer, a cop, a baby doctor, a waitress, a physical therapist, a nurse, a teacher, a defense lawyer-- all supported dreams of mine throughout my childhood. At one point, I was a collector-- a collector of rusted (and some moldy) bottle caps, postcards, troll dolls, Beanie Babies, and Pogs (to name just a few.) I had an MC Hammer doll in the first grade and his U Can't Touch This single on cassette. A poster of Michael Jackson in a yellow tuxedo hung on my bedroom wall. I took a Milli Vanilli folder to school with me. I wanted to be famous someday and be one of those dancers in the music videos on MTV. Or a Fly-Girl on In Living Color. With the support of my parents, I always felt as if I could do anything I ever wanted. And isn't that what is most important-- to raise a child with the belief that they can accomplish anything they set their minds to? To raise a child knowing that they can make a difference in the world? And to make sure your child is happy?

(The poster was on clearance, by the way.)

So, readers, what kinds of interests did you have that your parents supported to make you the person you are today? Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment