Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fall Frenzy

The fall is a very busy time for our family, but our favorite time of year!

Since Todd and I are both teachers, fall represents the beginning of a new school year. This year, I'm teaching Sophomore English and Art at the high school. My art curriculum is focusing on multicultural arts and crafts, so students are studying various groups of people around the world, their art, and then recreating artworks based on what they've learned. I am starting to feel more comfortable teaching English this year since I was able to work out all the kinks last year-- well, most of the kinks! I also have a terrific group of kids this year-- especially my Advanced class. I am able to not only provide a general over-view of various pieces of literature and writing genres, but also dive more in depth into grammar (one of our students' lowest areas on the state writing assessment.) Todd is at the middle school again teaching health and computers. He has nothing but great things to say about the middle school kids and his colleagues. I think he really enjoys his job! Todd is also assistant coaching again this year. He is the head JV coach, and his JV team is doing pretty well. The varsity team is struggling a bit, but have made lots of progress from last season. Homecoming is this week, which means that we are both swamped. Todd with the coaching aspect and me with the student festivities aspect. I, along with a fellow English teacher at the high school. are in charge of Homecoming Court, the Homecoming assembly, the Homecoming class competitions, the Homecoming week of dressing up, the Homecoming dodge ball tournament, etc. etc. etc. You get the point... Anyway, my partner in crime just had a baby the end of August, so I have been flying solo. Needless to say, I am going to feel 100 pounds lighter (stress-wise) at the end of this week!

Fall is also harvest time-- something that means a busy working time period for my dad and Jason. Rocco loves seeing all of the trucks and tractors moving produce. Stray onions line the roads and the fields are slowly turning from green to brown. Speaking of farming, Rocco just had his second annual Pumpkin Patch Party. Every year my dad grows a mini-field of pumpkins so that Rocco and his friends (and their parents-- our friends) can come out and grab as many pumpkins as they want. This year, we met at Andrea's house for treats, socialized for a bit, and then loaded up into the hay covered trailer that transported us to the patch. After picking the perfect pumpkins, everyone made their way back to the house where they were met with more goodies and chili. It was a great time! Next year, it will be even more fun because Ruby and Jaxon will be here! Here are some photos of our party:




Rocco is such a big boy now. He is talking up a storm! We are excited that we are finally able to have complete conversations with him and that he is using full sentences. He understands everything we say to him, which is wonderful. Now, if he would just oblige to everything we ask him to do- HA! He still loves anything with wheels that makes noise. But he is now very into Fireman Sam-- a British cartoon. I got him a fireman costume (originally intended or Halloween) that he wears all the time-- particularly the hat. He also refers to himself as Fireman Sam sometimes. Funny kid! His babysitter will take him around town to run errands sometimes and Rocco will wear his fireman hat, of course, so people around town also refer to him as Fireman Sam. Here's hoping it's just a phase! He is excited about "his baby" coming in December. Sometimes he will randomly kiss my belly, give Ruby a drink of his sippy through my belly button, and share his tractors with her (running them over my belly.) Today, I caught him whisper-singing about the baby. Very cute. Speaking of Ruby, she is growing! I feel pretty good and can't complain too much. Sleeping has become more difficult because of my size and leg cramps. We are slowly getting prepped to have a newborn in the house again. I have all of her clothes washed, organized, and ready for her; the car seat is ready with bases installed in the vehicles; bottles are washed; toys have been transferred from Rocco's room to Ruby's room. I don't know if I am nesting or just being prepared, because I know how much work it is the second time around. Regardless, we are very excited for her arrival. I will make sure to post photos of the 3D ultrasound-- November 1st.

Halloween is coming up soon. We hope Rocco is ready to go trick or treating this year. Thanksgiving is right around the corner, too. We have invited Todd's parents down to spend the holiday with us. Hopefully, they will be able to make it down and celebrate with us. We have never had the honor of celebrating a holiday with them at our house-- the old house or the new house-- so we are hopeful they can make it down.

I hope you all are enjoying your fall as much as we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment